I am sure there are several reasons why many of us don't pick up the phone every single time. I know many of the folks who are regulars in these forums would say that there are no excuses, etc., but here I will give you a few reason not excuses, but actual reasons why we don't pick up the phone every single time, the reasons that I would mention here are based on my experience.

1. I hear from many AM and bank executives that they don't answer the phone nor return phone calls, if anyone wants to reach them, they can do it by email.

2. All my listings have several picture and virtual tours on MLS and other websites. But I get phone calls from agents who want me to email them pictures to send to their buyers before they show the house.

3. Agent calls my office to ask me if he/she would be wasting his/her time submitting an offer for $75,000 on a $280,000 listing.

4. An agent calls my office and wants me to call my client and get a verbal acceptance for $14,000 on a $35,000 listing. Again he doesn't want to waste time writing an offer.

5. An agent calls me to see if the seller is flexible on the price or if I can go lower on the price.

6. An agent calls to know what are the conditions of the property before taking the buyers in, and they also want to know if the neighborhood is safe.

7. A neighbor call to see if  someone will be moving into the house, because they don't like to live near an empty house.

8. For multiple offers agents always call to ask how many offers and if other offers are higher or better than theirs, and sometimes begging me to accept their offers because their clients are the best clients in the world and they really need to buy this house.

9.  A potential tenant calls me asking me if the house with the "For Sale" sign is for rent, or to find out how much is the rent.

10.A lead generation company who wants me to pay them $5,000 up front to get 12 fair market seller leads in one year, and then 20% of the commission at settlement. 

You need to be a member of REO Pro Network to add comments!

Join REO Pro Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• She hung up hmmm interesting that she expected you to show the property and then let her write the contract not unusual for some agents but not the correct way to handle this situation. How can she help them if she has never seen the property???? Is that really in her clients best interest ???
      • I had one agent calling me 6 times between 10 and 10:30 PM on a friday asking me to open the door for her client and help her with the offer because she has never worked with HUD homes and she has an appointment to show the house on Saturday morning. she only does luxuriuos home. I call back on Saturday morning and she was upset because I didn't answer the phone the night before, "I am supposed to be on call 24/7 to service my client" Anyways, there is more to the story, her broker doesn't have a NAID number to submit  offers on HUD properties, she ask that I submit the offer for her client, I told her that it was fine, but since my name and my company's name would be involved in the contract and because liability reasons I would consider that a referral and I would give her 25% of the buyer's commission to her, and I would take care of the whole transaction, etc. and I told her that I would be more than happy to mentor her on HUD properties and HUD contracts, and help her broker fill the application for NAID. She was very upset and hung up on me.

She contacted HOMETELOS on Monday and put a complain that I was doing a poor job

• Well said
  • You left out:  Can I have the combo code because I left my iKey at home?

• Usually I get the one that goes like this " I am an investor and I want the code so I can see the house" I reply " I am sorry I can't give you a code over the phone, but I can arrange an showing for you" and they say " Other REO agents give me the codes, I have hundreds of properties and everyone knows me, I am an investor with lots of cash" then I say " I am sorry, but per clients request every buyer needs to be accompanied by an agent, I can meet you there or one of the agents in my team", they finally hang up or replay " I will call my agent to get the code"
  • This is a gift and a curse. I always answer my phone but there are some ridiculous calls that come in. Especially at 1 and 2 am in the morn. Don't call me then! Don't call me when office hours are up! Let's respect each other's time ok. But I am always on top of everything and my team is rocking! Good convo though.
  • I think in last couple of years reputation for REO brokers changed for better. New competition and constantly changing industry forced agents to improve services. It used to be more in back days that reo brokers will rarely answers their calls but not anymore, now it's more mandatory to make sure client is happy and also relationship with other agents is crucial.

• I try not to miss a call or return a call.  The other agents that are calling about a property are as much as my client as my AM (from a service standpoint).  We are in the business of service and it doesnt stop with the buyer's agent.  Its amazing how agents react when I actually pick up the phone or return a phone call.  Its escalates your brand and defines you as five star servicer in your market. 
  • Great Post I smiled today and a smile is always a good thing Thanks for posting this
  •  

Sorry, but those are very poor excuses for REO & HUD agents not answering their phones. The majority of calls I received on my REO& HUD properties are from agents checking availability,verifying lock box information, and to know if a property is right for their buyer's types of loans. Yes I receives those types of call too, but they should not prevent me from been professional and courteous to my fellow agents and buyers by answering my phone.

This reply was deleted.