Spelling and grammar, people, please!

I realize that no spell check will tell you the difference between 'there' and 'their' and 'they're'.   The expression is 'could have' not 'could of'.  If you want to use a contraction, then it is 'could've'.  Remember "I before E except after C".  Verbs should match the subject as best as possible.  They 'do'.  It 'does'.  I could go on, but I'd rather not.  

I understand that English can be difficult if it is a second language for you.  I understand wanting to write on the forum in an abbreviated way, but some care takes very little extra time.  I think current colloquialisms are great - lol, cuz, etc.  And punctuation between sentences makes it much easier to follow your thoughts.

My writing is not perfect either.  Sometimes I change what I'm typing but don't review the whole sentence to make sure it makes sense or that the tenses match.  I did that just today but it was too late for me to edit my remark by the time I saw it again.  Note that you can enter your comment, review it, and then you have 15 minutes to edit it.

If your professional communication looks like some of the stuff (that's a technical term) written here, you are not presenting yourself in the best possible way.

Just sayin'....

You need to be a member of REO Pro Network to add comments!

Join REO Pro Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I aslo agree.  (See that---I left it in, I do that all the time with 'also')  If one aspires to do things properly at ALL times, even in an informal chat room, it carries over into every part of life. This subject made me step back a bit and re-assess my habits. This site can be read by anyone! What if a client did a web search on you and  something pulled up that made you appear ignorant, illiterate or stupid?

• I would be spending more time doing business than putting down people. Every post on here you are always superior to others, get a life. 

• Waste and waist? G whiz.
  • Interesting thread subject. I am capable of being a living dictionary and thesaurus, possessing a high IQ and being well read. However, most of my posts here have quite a few mistakes. We have re-constructed the English language to the point of no return, and one of my agitations with our school system has been watching my daughter go through high school English courses that have almost nothing to do with proper structure or rules. That leaves my participle just dangling!! 

On the other hand, while we should always practice proper usage, we are not trying to impress anyone here. At least Im not. This mode of communication leads to a new form of abbreviating.Dont know what to call it---'Chatroom Speak'?

It boils down to whatever it takes to make ones self understood by using the least number of characters for expediency.

This rushed lifestyle leads to automatic and un noticed mistakes such as 'their' vs 'there', etc. I know the difference. Most people do, but when rapidly forming thoughts, trying to type them out fast while multitasking on other screens, I often interchange those without caring. I believe most people can tell if the mistake is from ignorance or just a brain fart if you will pardon the expression! Something I cant seem to conquer is typing the word BECAUSE. I had to look letter by letter to just do that. When speed typing it comes out BECUASE or BECASUE. I dont even try to change it now.

• Your and you're....

This reply was deleted.