REO EXPO 2010

I got home last night from Dallas I missed the last day and half of the conference, but here is my take on it. I am not a big expert on conferences this is only my second, my first one was Five Star last year. I can say that I gained 2 new clients from last year's conference.

REO Expo was at a very nice hotel, I had the opportunity to start networking and meeting people since I arrived at DFW. Let me start by the bad things, the organizers needed someone with more experience running the show, first day breakfast there were no places to seat, continental breakfast was very frugal and breakfast area was too small to hold the amount of people. Reception that evening was very small, not enough food, long lines for drinks, not a lot of room to move, Exhibition hall was small not a lot of exhibitors, lunch was not planned the second day, there were not enough tables and chairs, and some people were just seating on the steps or anywhere on the floor eating lunch, finally they brought more tables and chairs. Classes were good but the time was too short to really cover the subject, I know the idea in some was to continue the classes online, and they might have been a good start, or course overview, but in my opinion some classes needed more handouts and visuals rather than just lectures, also the volume was low in some classes, the rooms were too large.

Good things, Emmitt Smith speech was good, the Pinnacle awards were good, the networking was good, I learned a lot about the industry, get some good insides, met some future clients and because of the small amount of attendees, I get to meet a lot of new friends and business contacts, there are a lot of great people between the agents, vendors asset managers that I met. I get to meet some of the readers of this blog in person. 

I can summarize my experience as a good experience, some my disagree with me, but it is up to each individual attitude and effort that anything can be good or bad. I really enjoyed the conference, yes it has room for improvement but I got a lot out of it. I learn a lot of new things, including how to be a better baseball coach for my kids, and make some good connections, which I know will help my business and myself in the future, because a good friendship is worth more than gold.

Good luck to all and I hope to see you in Dallas again for Five Star.

You need to be a member of REO Pro Network to add comments!

Join REO Pro Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It was great to get to meet some of you finally at the REO Expo! I know we've been working with Rose and a couple others on here for quiet sometime, so its always nice to put a face to a name! We'll likely be setting up at the 5-star conference so will get to hopefully see the rest of you there!

• I liked it, As far as first conferences go they had a good turn out and I had some phenomenal networking. There was your share of newbie but I saw a lot of the big REO agents there who felt they needed to attend it.

They had really good industry turn out for the pinnacle awards and I met quite few just around the Expo but not in the expo.

The bad - classes could have been improved / more and I think PMH, LPS and Single Source were the large draws and without them you would have not had the turn out.
  • Jose -- Thanks for the feedback. We are pleased you found the experience professionally valuable. And, we appreciate your report on the kinks, as well. As this was our first ''REO-deo," we are committed to incorporating all input in our planning for next year to make REO Expo the premier industry event.See you next year!

Elaine
    • Elaine, the goal for most of the agents attending this type of events are to cultivate new business relationships, to increase our knowledge and to network with other agents, I can say that I gained all 3 during and after the conference, I really got my money's worth. I just receive a new assignment from a client that I met at REO EXPO.
      • Excellent! So great to hear that, Jose! Mission accomplished!
  • Hi Jose-
    Sorry I missed you!-- I went to Dallas as well. I really hit sensory overload while I was there.

I must agree, the planning was weak, food lines and seating were pretty bad, otherwise I think I made a ton of new friends and actually, I learned more from them... than in some of the classes.

Most of the classes were great. Hand-outs would have been more productive for us, its difficult to take notes and sort them etc.... when your perpetually on the run...
    I did meet with Freddie Mac, RMS, LPS and Servicelink..so, in that sense it went well.Regarding the the exhibit hall.... that was pretty bad, how many software platforms can we really own. I ordered a few more locks......... wish there were more items that we can actually use, (maybe I was expecting a bigger variety of products like NAR conventions offer.)
    During the "mixers" I only spotted 3 am's from lps--- and they huddled together in deep conversation. Am sure they were uncomfortable in a room full of reo brokers...lol.... I felt they were un-approachable... and it seems so did everyone else... as NO one went near them.....lololol...
    I got back at midnight last night.... am beat and now I have to sort out what I have .... major sensory overload..lolol

Warm regards!!
    Rose
    • Well I hope I get to meet you in person at the next conference, and yes I learn a lot from other agents, I was lucky to meet some of the nicest asset managers and even the COO of an asset company. But put yourself in their shoes, they are like rock stars and everybody wants to talk to them and some agent could be rude and pushy.

Oh by the way, a little of wine or whiskey always help me with the sensory overload.

Good luck
      • Oh yes! I made on of my biggest contacts at the pool hall in Dallas at last years 5STAR. You are 100% right though booze=business! LOL!
      • lolollolollolool..... will try it tonight!!.... lol.... Regards!! Rose
This reply was deleted.