Replies

• Hi -

I am in the exact same situation! New REO and no HOA information. I usually start my knocking on neighbor's doors, introducing myself - hand out business card and let everyone know that we will be cleaning up the property getting the house ready for sale. We would love for them to stop by, bring friends and preview the home as it's going on the market!

Neighbors feel all warm and fuzzy knowing a home will not sit vacant much longer! Asking questions....usually gets me the information I am seeking about the community! Great place to start:) Best of luck!
  • Cesar,

This is how I did it. Search the name of the HOA on the MLS, and then pull it up on the Search engine. Look for their website to get the address and phone number. Go there, introduce yourself and tell them the bank had taken over the property, and that you are to take care of the HOA from the time of ownership of the bank. Bring your paperwork. They will give you a contact person to take take of the billing. You need to ask about the key to a gated community, if there is one. There is a fee for the key. ... This is what I do in California.
    • If you look around the property, there may be some notices or news bulletins that are posted by the front or garbage areas.
  • Thank you All for the help,
    believe it or not, I have tried all the ideas you have gaved me, some of the addresses dont have the same HOA names, and I can not get emails from either mls or HOA managers because they dont display the names on MLS they just if so just display the dues and is because they copy them from someone elses;
    County records unless you know the name of the association you cant find them; and that is the whole question who is the HOA.....lol,
    let me see what else, try asking the neighbors but there are any sometimes around to ask and it must be an esier way, banks should send the info with assigments;;;;oh title unless is a lien no luck;;;; any other ideas;;;;;;it would be welcomed;

Cesar Khandjian
  • I usually start with the Sect. of State's office and do a corporation search for the HOA. I usually start with the subdivision name and then play around with the words. If that doesn't work, I do an on-line records search leins and titles in the subdivision's name.

Then when all else fails, I knock on doors.
  • Cesar, I was an HOA manager for 16 years. It is a tough and thankless job. Since becoming a Realtor, I have worked REOs and had to work w/ HOA managers. A couple of quick tips:

1. Try to talk w/ the HOA manager's assistant for information
    2. Try to get the manager's email address.
    3. Send a short email and ask for the accounts receivable or the owner's statement for the past 12 months. This will show you what the monthly, quarterly, annual fee is. Do not worry about the dates of foreclosure, etc. The bank will determine that.
    4. Make sure to attach proof that you have been the assigned agent for this REO. Also, make sure this includes the bank and the attorney so that the HOA manager and or office have it for their files.
    5. Remember to keep your request short, sweet, & simple. All you are really looking for is the HOA fee. Other cost, for example insurance, would be included in the statement.
    6. Last but not least, kill them with kindness.

Yes, the MLS should have some info, but it may not be updated, and could be based on an average, especially if it is a condominium, where the fees will vary based on a percentage of ownership. If all else fails, contact the attorney (or his assistant) and ask for the info.

I hope this helps!

Courtney Peace Hagins CDPE ABR
    RE/MAX Island Realty
    Hilton Head Island, SC
    • In Oregon all business names are filed with the office of the Secretary of State. I go on to their website and do a business name search, it has it all, including contact info.
  • None. I have searched around for a while. Title can ususally pull something if there is a lien.
  • Try your MLS. A lot of the listings that have HOA's will have that information listed on another listing. I am finding that most of the HOA's will not speak or work with me directly. For some reason, they prefer to deal with the attorney. I am in an attorney state...maybe this is the reason?
  • Go to the County it is located in..they should have them recorded. The name of the development should be on the tax record..sometimes the city..I am rural, so my county has them..with a contact number. In the larger cities, the city may have them, but all associations should have a contact person filed. Good luck!
This reply was deleted.