Replies

• Jesse, while you have a fantastic blog here, I encourage you to entertain a different perspective-especially if you have a great offering for agents, waiting to be launched, that can be helpful. A "certification" that appeals to banks is NOT necessary, nor has it ever been proven to create success for a program or for participants. You cannot simply apply a blanket label as "not credible " to every program that doesn't meet your feelings about certifications".  In REO for instance, I have never sought nor secured any certifications, yet I worked for just about every major institution as a preferred broker. In traditional sales, I obtained zero certifications, yet I became the #1 Team Agent in N. Suburban Atlanta in my 30s. The idea that banks have to recognize you as a certified professional in order for you to work their properties is purely false with very few exceptions. Especially in the short sale arena. It is far more important for the homeowner to trust you. The bank has absolutely no say so as to whom the homeowner can hire to represent them. The prospect is the homeowner, not the bank.

I will tell you from personal real world experience that there is great fulfillment to be had in helping agents, once you have reached a pinnacle in your career where your own experience can bring benefit to others. As cliche as it may sound, when earning money is not the driving force behind the way you live, and when giving back is your guiding principle, there is a GREAT sense of fulfillment. I KNOW that you get this because of this blog that you run. Do NOT hold back on presenting your offer because of not being able to answer questions about certifications. THAT is NOT a formidable road block. How silly is that that someone powerful can be stopped by some false ideal? C'mon. You have a GREAT opportunity to help people with your audience here. DO IT! The only thing that is holding you back is the notion that you have created in your mind that the certification is needed. I am willing to BET you that if all of the agents on your blog knew that you had a great program and that if you presented it very transparently as having NO certification whatsoever that the demand for your program would be through the roof. Without fail I ALWAYS encourage people in programs of which I am a part, to go out and take competing courses. A small bit of knowledge gained from multiple sources grows to some very big successes. If your focus is on helping people vs making money and "handcuffing" them to your program you will always steer them towards the best path to success-even at risking losing your students to someone else. I learned this from Craig Proctor when we were chatting one day. Great little piece of advice.

Helping others is THE path to success and happiness Jesse and you have already begun by having this blog. If you want to explore this more let's chat by phone or since we are not so far from each other, I'd be happy to come to Nashville and meet with you personally-I love that town. A life of fulfillment from living outward is where it's at. I am living it and would love to talk about it with you.

It should eat you alive not to be sharing it.

• Mike, it's so funny that you wrote this message as this message rings true because my own paradigm has been shifting over the past 2 years or so. 

I have often thought to myself, just put it out there and let the chips fall as they may. Truth is, I know the program I have developed is great and I am confident it can stand on it's own merits. So, why not take the risk, see what happens. The reality is, I already took the risk, had some preliminary classes her in Nashville and my reviews were incredible. In fact, we even had a representative for the HUD's OIG and they were extremely impressed with the quality of the content.  

So, with that being said, the time may not be now but, now may be no better than any other? Thanks for the insight, it's nice to talk with another who seems to compliment my train of thought. I may take you up on the offer.

• AWESOME stuff Jesse.

You are right on with your thinking "just put it out there". I used to spend lots of time"perfecting" my programs before I put them out there and I found out that as long as you have put all the "good stuff" that you know into it, that it will develop into its best, AFTER it is out there. The great part is that it will be your clients who help to shape it. It becomes what they want and need, as their input helps to mold it. As long as your focus stays on giving them every ounce of value and on serving them it will be great.

Funny how all it takes is a tiny paradigm shift to change your world and how it affects those around you.  I preach this to every single one of the thousands of agents and brokers that I that I coach-"just shift 1% and your whole world changes". I cannot begin to tell you the impact that it has had on my life and on my family and everyone that I know. I used to be the "go for the throat" guy when I was selling hardcore and I was so "me" focused that it took a lot of joy out of most other areas of my life outside of work. Today, I get so much fulfillment out of  the calls and emails that I get from agents and brokers who have breakthroughs and who made positive changes. Pretty cool stuff.

Let's definitely get together and at least chat. Right now there really is no better time. Sort of like having a child. You want to do it when everything is just "perfect" and then you find out that no matter when that child s born it is PERFECT (lol!-using a personal experience here-my wife Kim and I just had a new baby boy (our 2nd-he's 13 mos. old) in our mid 40s).

Truthfully, I got a little stressed yesterday reading a couple of these comments because I know the strategy behind MDI is so in line with all the things we are talking about here, because the guy behind it has been one of the most influential people in my life and he is largely responsible for pushing me way beyond the initial "shift" I made in my life towards serving others. He showed me, by example, how to take it to an entirely different level. You can't even talk to him about "making money" because he has so little focus on that. His entire life is about helping others with no expectations in return. Like I said-very cool stuff. To have him ask me to partner in finalizing the creation of something like this and to consult on the delivery to agents-a milestone for me. There are so many things that are being looked into for this program as it develops. He is just like me in believing that you "just put it out there" and then make it what the agents want and need it to be". It has started with a very solid base and will only be better every day. All day today I am in negotiations with data providers for more "legally distributable" pre-foreclosure information for the clients. Anyway, I am pretty juiced about doing this.

Check out this email I got last night about the program:

Mike,

I enjoyed the presentation very much. I specialize in short sales and about 75% of my business this past year and a half has been from short sales and I know that what you are trying to do to educate we Real Estate Pros in the business is spot on.

The lenders I have been working with are so happy to work with us that they are even sending clients to us to work out their underwater loans in our market area because they want the homeowners to have representation to help them successfully get through the short sale process  and not have to go through the foreclosure process.

. Most sellers who are in trouble with their loans do not even know this option is available and are astounded when I negotiate the short sale options for them and even secure relocation assistance for them. The homeowners are truly grateful when the short sale is completed and they walk out of the closing with money in their pocket when they were upside down on their mortgage by 10`s of 1000’s of dollars

One client that I recently completed a short sale for told me after the closing that when I initially explained the short sale program to her she thought I was trying to sell her a “bill of goods” but since I had 40 years experience in the real estate business and had sold her and her husband 4 properties in the past that she was willing to trust me and let me take her through “short sale process”. She was upside down on the mortgage by $50,000 and walked out of the closing with $3,000 in her pocket and told me that every single thing I told her came out exactly as I said it would and that she could not believe it. We are creating happy sellers and happy buyers under extremely demanding circumstances in today’s real estate market.

The lenders cannot rely on the sellers or buyers to complete the short sales process successfully  themselves because the buyers and sellers just do not possess the skills and the knowledge to get the sale done in the shortest period of time with the most money to the lender.

I received a call today from a seller who’s lender (surprise,surpise) asked them to call me because I have just competed a short sale with the same lender on another home owner in my marketing area.

Keep up the good work with this program. What you are doing is helping America’s homeowner’s and their lenders who are basically out of options to bypass foreclosures and truly work together to help each other through these tough times.

I am looking forward to working with you to help others homeowners in my market area to look at all the options available to them.

I am withholding the name because it doesn't matter and he can comment here if he is on REO Pro. But THIS is what makes it so great for me!

Like I said, you have created a PHENOMENAL resource for REO agents and brokers, most of whom would LOVE to do Short Sales. It is needed badly for some just for survival and for others to seriously thrive. I would love nothing more than to help you get the word out in whatever small or big way that I can.

Let's connect for sure. Only positive things come out of serious brainstorming conversations with like-minded thinkers :-) Soot me an email and I'll give you my cell. If we get together in Nashville we're going to Puckett's for lunch and you are buying! :-)

-Mike

Whew! I wrote a stinking book here-ha! I was going to write "Great! Call me!". Talk soon.

• With a million or so companies offering certifications of one sort or another, always for a price of course, I always ask Who is the "Certification" recognized by? What is the professional group or body that sets the standards and then recognizes the course? What, if any, are the advantages of having this particular certification? My guess is that most of the certification companies cannot give a good answer to even one of the questions, let alone all of them.  

This reply was deleted.